Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Knowledge Pool - Baddest Joint on the Web.

Okay, so I have talked about the Knowledge Pool, and my Knowledge Pool Crew, in many of my articles.  No, it's not the lamest gang bangers you've ever heard of, (or maybe it is?) 


It's a forum, started by none other than Commandercast Andy, set up for casual writers to post their musings for a more private critiquing before the stuff becomes part of the http://www.history/.  Most of the writers are the guys/gal straight from the Commandercast writer squad, as well as the guys who I link to in the 'Nath Approved Links.

I found out about it from Andy, who noticed that I usually have one or two RTFC moments in my articles and could probably use the peer review. 

I needed to make that shit TROLL PROOF.

So I signed up and got acclimated to the idea - sharing your work with people you don't know is kind of counter-intuitive, though the involvement of Commandercast gives it credibility.  We use Google docs and post the link for people to go and edit the article, from small fixes to major re-works that require a lot of back and forth conversation.

Now, I have never been much of an editor in any sense, though I have spent so much time picking apart my pending novel that it turns out I am pretty good at it.  Anything I am good at, I naturally enjoy doing.  So I spend a lot of my time (times a lot) editing other peoples works with a fine-tooth cursor, and I enjoy it. 

Since I joined the Knowledge Pool in the beginning of September, I have posted over 100 times and carefully edited almost every piece that was posted - close to 20 off the top of my head.  Likewise, my articles have improved immensely, especially when it comes to RTFC, but it also allows me to spend more time writing and less time editing. 

Honestly, we get shit done.

As I mentioned in the previous post here, I was asked to be Global Moderator of the Knowledge Pool today.  Basically, I will keep it clean by moving articles that are live into the archives.  There will never be a need to actually moderate anything, as we are selective and EWBER KEWL and any douche baggery will meet with hasty banishment.

Still, it reminds me of Global Dictator, so I am marking it a win for the Writer of Wrong.  Booyah!

Now if you are interested in joining the Knowledge Pool Crew, we have definitely been discussing how we want to deal with new membership as we move forward.  We all agreed that we wanted both content producers AND content consumers as members, so any interested parties can let me know and we see what we can do.

Just so you know, plagiarism will be met with a swift barrage of Curb Stomps.