Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CommanderCast - GB Debate.

Been a long weekend here folks, and I've been finishing up the article for this week so I've been a tad busy. 

Anyhoo, I did finally get a chance to listen to this week's CommanderCast today.  The episode - season 4, episode 2 - had Andy joined by Justin, Donovan, and Sean McKeown from SCG (same guy who answered Alex's Vish Kal letter!)

They discussed proxies and Gold Bordered cards,and how they are kinda the same thing.  I have to be honest, I don't think they are the same at all!  To me, the Gold Bordered world Champion cards are the greatest thing about EDH.  The fact that they are not tournament legal makes them worthless, but this does not make them 'fake.'  They are printed on MTG cardstock, with MTG ink and MTG art.  They are not counterfeit, nor illegal. 

 Item image

So why are they proxies?

I am a big fan of proxies as long as they are pretty and easy to figure out, (sharpie proxies are lazy, but my preferred method,) though I am going to print off some nice Duals I found on MTG Salvation just for the S&G's of it all.  I would understand if people objected - I wouldn't change them, just understand - but I definitely won't take crap for my GB honeys. 

I hate to break it to you folks, but paying good money for cards that won't make the money back is slightly idiotic, and despite the smattering of EDH tourneys, where the GB are legal, mind you, the EDH decks we make are for pure enjoyment. 

The problem is - the cards are based on prices as if you were going to win stuff with them!  Force of Will did not reach $100 dollars because it is a super rare collectors card.  No, it was $100 because it was going to increase the chances of winning money. 

The other side of the coin - people who spent good money on the 'real' Duals would feel slighted.  Boo hoo!  I won't be spending that much money on a single card until I have money to burn, and even then, I won't care if someone proxies.