Monday, September 5, 2011

Draftng Deja Vu and Animar's Hydras


So I meant to tell this story in my last article, which was themed on competition, but the thing was long as hell by the time I finished discussing the Skithiryx deck (which I barely did anyways) so I decided to write a little blurb about it here, in the Blogosphere.

As I have mentioned before, we tend to do FNM drafts, and this past week I was seated next to my EDH buddy Richard for an M12 draft - I’ve had bad luck with M12 Limited so I was not expecting much.

That was until I was passed a Foil Primordial Hydra, after I first picked Overrun.  
Boy, I love Green!

As I drafted, I wavered between GR and GB, though I knew from experience that Jund would be too dicey to run.

All that changed yet again, when I first-picked a Frost Titan.  Richard and I ended up drawing for first (he had Gideon, so F that) and like any good Commander-er, we went into some crazy 99's.
I tell you all this not to brag, but to establish the point of repetition, the anchor to the deja vu of the weekend.

Fast forward to the Sunday, and another M12 draft, this time for the FtV Legends box down at Evil Squirrel.  Again, I was seated next to Richard.  He must be a good luck charm.

My first pick - Primordial Hydra.  

My first pick from booster 2- Frost F'ing Titan.

I lost in the last rounds to a Boros Weenie deck (even after I boarded in a Mountain, 2 Circle of 
Flames, AND I played both in game 2) but in all fairness, I had 5 lands in hand end of game 1 after a Hunter's Insight and a Ponder.  GG.

Anyone else ever had a repeat draft like that?  It was crazy!

It also inspired my latest in-the-real builds - Animar's Hydras!  I don't have many straightforward stompy decks, and this one has been performing admirably, even before I had a second look at the beginning build!  

Here it is!

Animar
1 Clone
1 Utopia Tree
1 Spellbreaker Behemoth
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Acidic Slime
1 Man-o'-War
1 Urabrask the Hidden
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Vigor
1 Azure Mage
1 Terastodon
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Draining Whelk
1 Spearbreaker Behemoth
1 Siege-Gang Commander
1 Phantasmal Image
1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Riku of Two Reflections
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
1 Shrieking Mogg
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Magmatic Force
1 Surgespanner
1 Tradewind Rider
1 Forgotten Ancient
1 Primeval Titan
1 Primordial Hydra
1 Brawn
1 Protean Hydra
1 Fierce Empath
1 Sylvan Ranger
1 Phyrexian Ingester
1 Garruk's Horde
1 Frost Titan
1 Farhaven Elf
1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
1 Regal Force
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Ivy Elemental
1 Fallen Ferromancer
1 Deadwood Treefolk
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Feral Hydra
1 Krakilin

1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Cloudstone Curio
1 Mimic Vat
1 Red Sun's Zenith
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Simic Signet
1 Hull Breach
1 Izzet Signet
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Mind's Eye
1 Gruul Signet
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Birthing Pod
1 Lightning Greaves

8 Island
11 Forest
10 Mountain
1 Vivid Grove
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Creek
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Tolaria West
1 Fungal Reaches
1 Novijen, Heart of Progress

Still need to find a replacement to my cubed Inferno Titan, and my brother traded away the  Apocalypse Hydra I was going to use, but now it has Man-O-War and all sorts of snazzy shizzle.

Peace!  And War.

Cassidy