Tuesday, June 7, 2011

You Want the 'Nath?

Welcome to my Magic the Gathering themed blog.  This will mostly focus on Standard, Limited and EDH/Commander formats of the game as this is what I play most frequently.

My name is Cass, commonly WriterofWrongs or Casshole on the big WWW.  I have played magic since right around when Alliances came out, but put the game down for a myriad of reasons.  The most prominent reason was the state of the player base at the time, I had the worst experience at an Illinois PTQ and it soured the game for me. 

Fast forward to 2010- I have an excellent Skaven and High Elf Army assembled and a sweet little Eldar Tank Force but with my son on the way soon and a complete lack of space for a game that seriously needs to have a lot of room (my tanks can fly 36 inches, bitch) it was becoming apparent that I would not have time to drive to Park Ridge and get drunk while playing Warhammer 40k with my good buddy Eddie. 

Concurrently, my littlest brother Kelsey came to live in my condo in the city to escape the rural college town and experience the world.  Oddly enough, he is the fourth family member to claim residence in our condo, but he was by far the best guest.  Anyways, Kelsey played EDH.  After a failed attempt to play the WWE RAW Deal card game, he finally talked me into playing his Zur vs his Karrthus.  Much like Mr Gautama under his tree, i had come to a fundamental shift in spiritual being.

That's right, I was a crack addict to EDH.  I quickly built my own deck, first proxying a so so Mayael deck, all the while yearning to build a deck of that sweet, sweet 'Nath.  Omnath, Locus of Mana.  For those of you who don't know what this guy does, he is 2G, 1/1 Legendary Elemental.  Your G never empties during an end step.  He gets +1/+1 for each G in your pool. 

Boy is he cool.  A mana battery combined with the sickest beater.  As soon as I had enough decent green cards, I built an Omnath aggro, focusing mainly on beefing Omnath and giving him evasion/trample via equips and auras.  It was ok, but a one trick pony.

I hit the drawing board again, coming up with a green control/combo that I am very happy with.  This is the current incarnation- http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=846909  Tab that link as I go over my strategy.

Our general plan is to sit back, making people laugh and saving hate for any sick plays that may come. 
If Omnath hits the table near turn 3 or 4, he will be Public enemy numero uno unless there is something more threatening, which usually a control or combo general like Azami or Gaddock Teeg.  Even then, this will be around the time sweepers come online.  We won't need Omnath til later.  Similarly, important cards like Seedborn Muse or Kamahl should be kept back until they are needed.  Wait out the first couple of sweepers and waves of removal, playing them when you are ready to crush the table.  It only takes one go around the table for Omnath to power up and Kamahl the board to death. 

This deck has a lot of tutors.  I know tutors get flack, but I feel like mono-green has a lot to live up to and this justifies powergaming 'Nath like mad.  That said, these tutors only really help me serve up creatures.  If I want anything else, I am going to have to top deck.

To this end, I play a string of mini combos in Omnath, focusing on the synergy between a creature and other permanents in the build.  For instance, if I were to draw greater good, I would tutor up both Melira and Woodfall Primus ASAP.  On the otherhand, if I rip a Predator, Flagship and I have plenty of mana and a tutor, Id go for Silklash Spider. 

Pretty much everything besides the ramp/tutor is utility.  People never see the Riftsweeper coming after their spelljack. 

Food for thought- Play major hate cards like Primeval Titan early, especially right into hate cards.  It is not all that necessary for Omnath but other players will feel satisified they killed your OMG card.  I act sad, like I just wanted to play my cool new OMG card.  I find most people think Omnath is really cool in general so the fact that your Titan is dead may win some sympathy. 

Of course, when it comes to 1v1, the gloves come off and I tutor up the combo fast. 

All in all, it is always important to adhere to the Spirit of EDH.  You can play a powerful deck without rubbing it in other peoples faces. 

I will end my first post thusly.  I will post my other decks- Khemba Tokentron and Captain Sisays Crew in the future, as well as direct you to other sites dedicated to EDH.  I will also post results from any event I may attend coupled with up to date MTG news.  STAY TUNED!!!!!!