Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fancy Footwear- Swiftfoot Boots AKA Lightning Greaves v.M12

We all know Lightning Greaves are good.  Not hard to figure out why.  Haste?  Check.  Protection?  Check.  Cheap?  Check.  Check.  And check.

Introducing Lightning Greaves v.M12- Swiftfoot Boots.  2 Artifact- Equipment.  Equipped creatures gains hexproof and haste.  Equip-1. 

Haste is easy, but for those that do not know, HEXPROOF is the new lingo for what is colloquially known as 'troll shroud.'  If Thrun had been printed in this set, he would have Hexproof instead of the targetting jargon and presumably Asceticism would provide all your creatures with hexproof.  Savvy?

So it is not free to equip like the Greaves are, but is the added bonus of Hexproof enough to make up?  I myself have went to equip a sword to my only creature on the board, only to be thwarted by the Lightning Greaves I had equipped turns ago.  Seems like hexproof is much more equipment friendly than shroud is and I think this has merit.  No reason you can't put both pairs in a deck though.

My type 2 (standard, sorry I'm old) Puresteel Paladin deck will love the Boots and may even make it an extremely viable deck.  Back them up with some Spellskites and the normal array of awesome type 2 equipment.  Here is to hoping the Stoneforge Mystic gets reprinted.  Drool.