Monday, January 9, 2012

Spoiled and Soiled - Dark Ascension Revealed

Nothing gets me more excited than new cards to brew with, and Innistrad gave me tons to work with.  The new set, Dark Ascension, has been spoiled a bit, and boy am I excited, so let's get right into!

Undying - the Persist that doesn't even remotely suck. 


Wow, just wow.  A combo players dream, this card.  Off the top of my head, this thing seems like Ghave's best friend - sac him to give Ghave a +1/+1, Undying triggers, use that Undying counter to make a saproling, and repeat til ur out of mana. 

I have to say, I am a bit confused by the mechanic, this far into Magic's life.  Seems super-over powered at this point, but the rest of the set remains to be seen, of course.


This card was one of the first to be spoiled, and I have been chomping on the bit since.  This card is flat out amazing, and will probably push me into Grixis from Esper in type 2.  It occurs to me that Past In Flames Storm Modern will absolutely break this card in half.

I think this thing is so good, it may become a relative EDH staple card in red.  The fact that there is no randomness to it basically puts it on par with many strong blue spells, and basically serves as a Brainstorm for much of the game.  It won't actually be gas itself late game unfortunately, but if its paired with other flashback cards it may be just fine to play it into an empty hand.


I had to laugh when I saw this card.  I wrote a deck called Grimgrin's Zombocalypse (Zombie Apocalypse) which was featured on Wizards.com.  Sure enough, there is Grimgrin and his Zombie Apocalypse.  Just saying.

Such a flavorful card!  This will never see any play outside of casual, or maybe the most badass/terrible of limited decks. 

BRAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSS!  HUUUUUMMMMMAANNNN BRRRAAIIINNNSSS!


Uh.... yeah.  It seems like ever since I built a Damia mill deck back in the day, they keep releasing newer and better cards to make that deck work.  First it was Emo Jace, and now its this bad boy.  I am not sure if this will have sanctioned implications - its super slow, but its pretty damned powerful - maybe with Labratory Maniac?



Wow.  Where to begin?  First off, T: make token is so good, especially since it won't tie down any mana past the turn you cast it.  Its an army in a can, all be it a slow one, but also reasonably costed and super powerful.

The downside - I think Fateful Hour will not end up being a relevant EDH keyword.  I can count the amount of times I have been at 5 life and not dead on one hand, and that is counting magister Sphinx/Sorin AND the time I died to Mana Vault.